The Lighthouse was Scotland's first, dedicated, national centre for architecture and design. The Lighthouse is the renamed conversion of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's 1895 Glasgow Herald newspaper office.
The centre's vision is to develop the links between design, architecture, and the creative industries. The building shows annually 15-20 exhibitions a year, many of which are of international stature. For example, The Lighthouse has also exhibited at Venice Biennale 2005, Milan Design Fair and London Design Festival 2005. Forthcoming exhibitions include: 6000 Miles, Scandinavian Design Beyond The Myth and Marimekko: Fabrics, Fashion, Architecture. The Lighthouse also contains a Charles Rennie Mackintosh interpretation centre and a dedicated education floor, including workshop, computer laboratory, gallery space and an innovative project called the Urban Learning Space.
There is also a conference centre, shop and two cafe/restaurants.
The Lighthouse runs conferences and events including a Creative Entrepreneurs Club for practitioners in the cultural industries and a Forum for Innovation in Public Art.
The Lighthouse also plays a leading role in several key networks including the European Forum on Architecture, The Bureau of European Design Associations and the European Design Forum. It is the lead body on design in Scotland.
Year Established: 1999
Please note: Comments that appear on the site are not the opinion of Craft Scotland, but of the comment writer.
If a comment made does not comply with our Terms and Conditions, please use the ‘report’ button to let us know.
About Craft Profiles
Craft profiles are maintained directly by craft people, places and organisations. Craft Scotland are not responsible for incorrect details, and have no contact details other than those provided.
If a profile does not comply with our Terms and Conditions, please email email@example.com to let us know.