Introduction to the basic skills involved in creating a woven tapestry.
22 Sep - 23 Sep 2018
Organised by:Fiona Hutchison fionahutchison.co.uk
Tickets:Adult £140 Learn more
48 Hammilton Place
EH3 5AY Map Directions
Open by appointment
This weekend workshop will introduce you to the basic skills involved in creating a woven tapestry, from warping up a simple frame loom to exploring flat woven techniques creating shapes, lines and colour blending.
You will be working with a range of traditional materials of a cotton warp and wool weft. When you are comfortable working with these materials you can go on to explore the variety of surface qualities that can be achieved by using a wider range of materials such as cotton, linen, sisal and paper.
You will learn to
• Set up a simple frame loom
• Construct a woven tapestry exploring a range of warp settings and weft thicknesses
• Control your weft tension/how to keep straight edges
• Create shapes, lines and curves
• Dealing with slits/interlocking weft
• Develop ideas for design
• Finishing and presenting your work
Event listings: Many craft events are uploaded by craft people, places, and organisations. Craft Scotland does not run the events and is not responsible for incorrect details.