Retail Futures 2022: Working With Galleries
Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Working With A Gallery (But Were Afraid To Ask). Learn from industry insiders.
This was an online Zoom event hosted by Local Heroes as part of the Retail Futures programme. This events series seeks to demystify different modes of presenting and selling design and craft.
The Retail Futures project is supported by Creative Scotland.
- Juliana Cavaliero a co-founding director of Cavaliero Finn
- Frances Priest is an artist, designer and maker based in Edinburgh and represented by Cavaliero Finn.
- Oscar Mitchell is a co founder of Fels
A guide for designers and makers who are interested in being represented by, or showing with, a professional gallery. Featuring speakers from two galleries and one designer-maker who is represented by a gallery. Covering different aspects of representation including practical elements such as sales, imagery, and supplying content for exhibitions.
Hear from industry insiders who approach this theme from multiple viewpoints with experiences that range from commissioning, curating, presenting, supplying and selling. The discussion was chaired by Dr Stacey Hunter and followed by a hosted Q&A.
The takeaways are:
- An enhanced understanding of how the gallery system operates
- What a good working relationship with a gallery looks like
- How best to approach a gallery
- How to assess whether your work is a good fit for a particular market segment (or event)
- Who will benefit from this event? Independent designers, makers and design-led businesses making or supplying contemporary craft and design.