A rare opportunity to be part of the team creating an embroidered tapestry capturing the spirit of the Highlands and Islands.
Closing date: 10 Feb 2022
Join the biggest community arts project ever seen in the Highlands and Islands. The team behind The Great Tapestry of Scotland are embarking on an exciting new project, creating an embroidered tapestry that captures the spirit of the Highlands and Islands.
The tapestry will be designed by artist Andrew Crummy (designer of The Prestonpans Tapestry, The Great Tapestry of Scotland, The Scottish Diaspora Tapestry and many others), and the content will be selected by historian Alistair Moffat. The Tapestry will be stitched by volunteer stitchers resident within the Highlands and Islands region.
They are looking for a creative, positive and talented person with experience of sewing/textile arts to join their team and help guide their volunteer stitchers through the sewing process. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Managing the base of operations (central hub where materials and completed panels will be stored and prepared, location TBC)
- Ordering materials
- Preparing and dispatching stitching packs to stitchers
- Ensuring that stitchers feel supported and encouraged
- Ensuring that stitchers complete the work within the time frame
- Travelling to visit stitching groups to provide support
- Preparing completed panels for exhibition
- Working with the rest of the team on any other relevant activities to ensure the delivery of this exciting artwork
- Resident in the Highlands or Islands
- Experience of crewel embroidery or other fine needlework
- Driving licence and access to own vehicle
Role timeline: Spring 2022-June 2023. Project fee £15,000 (paid in monthly instalments) plus reasonable travel and accommodation expenses.
Opportunities listings: many listings are uploaded by makers, places, organisations and the Craft Scotland team. Please note that due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some listings may have changed, been postponed or cancelled. Always check the organiser's website. Craft Scotland is not responsible for incorrect details.
Opportunity provided by:Anna Marshall, The Great Tapestry of Scotland Ltd.
Venue Location:The Great Tapestry of Scotland
14-20 High Street