Join CSSF for a Cold Connections Masterclass and explore alternative joining techniques that don’t need any heat or soldering
4 Feb 2024
Organised by:Central Scotland School of Jewellery cssj.co.uk
Tickets:Adult £65 Book Now
Location:Central Scotland School of Jewellery
FK15 9AJ Map Directions
Join CSSF for a Cold Connections Masterclass and explore alternative joining techniques that don’t need any heat or soldering. We’ll explore lots of innovative joining methods such as wire rivets, tube rivets, and tab settings, and explore not just their functional possibilities, but also their potential to enhance the design of your piece of jewellery. With a bit of careful consideration, a well-placed rivet or tab can become an integral part of your jewellery design. You can use cold connections to join non-precious materials such as plastics or paper to metal, and to incorporate other techniques such as enamelling and titanium into your silver jewellery. (Check the program for upcoming workshops to explore these techniques too!)
You’ll begin the day with an overview of all the different techniques we’ll cover, and the different ways they might feature in your finished jewellery pieces. After some short demonstrations, you’ll have the opportunity to try the techniques yourself and practice under the supervision of your expert tutor. We’ll provide you with a variety of materials that you can join together using your riveting and setting skills, and there will be an opportunity to make your own riveting tool to take home at the end of the day to carry on creating. This is a relaxed intermediate masterclass that will suit you if you have already mastered basic jewellery techniques such as sawing, filing, and drilling.
If you’re looking for a bit of inspiration before your workshop check out our Pinterest Board with lots of ideas to inspire you.
What to bring:
- We’ll provide all the things you will need to conquer cold connections. A sketch/notebook plus a pen/pencil for notes could come in handy for this workshop
- Please bring along glasses if you need them
- Wear appropriate clothing for a studio environment including closed-toe shoes. Why not order yourself a CSSJ apron to make you feel right at home in your workshop?
- Tea, coffee, and biscuits are provided
- If you are the type of person who prefers to arm yourself with some knowledge ahead of time then we have prepared a Pinterest page filled with jewellery making information and inspiration just for you!
These listings are uploaded by makers, places, organisations and the Craft Scotland team. In view of the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in Scotland, please check the organiser's website for the latest update on the event. Craft Scotland is not responsible for incorrect details.